After unpacking the equipment, you can set it up on the event venue's network.
- The venue must provide at least one Ethernet port and one power outlet.
- Do not use a wireless connection to set up the router; use the Ethernet. (In an emergency, a hotspot can provide backup internet.)
Provided by the venue. Supplies the internet for your network.
|Router||Connects devices to each other and to the internet.|
Back up internet connection. Available only in U.S.
|CAT5 Cable||Connects devices.|
To set up the equipment:
- Charge the iPads.
Plug equipment (router, printer) into a power source.
- Use the CAT5 cables to connect the router to the Ethernet port and to connect the printer to the router.
- Open the iPad and connect it to the Wi-Fi network through the router.
Notes: If the internet connection is lost during the event:
- The iPad and badge printer continue to work and save data because they are connected to the same router.
- Check with the event venue to ensure that there are no problems with their internet service.
- For U.S. based events, you can to switch to the 5G cellular Hotspot for backup internet connection.
- Configure this by going into the Settings for the iPad (not for the Onsite in a Box app) and choosing the hotspot as your new internet connection.
Set Up the iPads
After unpacking and setting up the equipment, use the iPads to start running the event.
Each iPad can serve as a check in station, survey station, registration station, badge printer, and more. For the smallest events, an event manager may only have one iPad. In this case, managers can switch the iPad between admin and kiosk mode as needed. For larger events, you might dedicate one iPad for each event function (such as checking in, taking surveys, printing badges, etc.).
- Event managers use the Onsite in a Box app installed on an iPad to run the event.
- Before using the app, administrators must log in to their RainFocus account. To speed the login process, they scan a QR code from the RainFocus admin. See Log in to Onsite in a Box via QR Code.
With the app, administrators can:
- Switch the iPad to different modes (attendee-facing, admin-facing, etc.).
- Help new attendees register for the event.
- Choose general app settings (such as whether to print badges and which forms to use for check in, registration, and other settings).
With the app, attendees can:
- Check into the event
- Print their badges
- Take surveys
Set Up the App
To start running the event, open the Onsite in a Box app on the iPad, log in using your RainFocus credentials, then set up the app.